Emerson seems to be liking the quiet isolation room. I think he is sleeping more soundly and is gaining weight much better. I'm still not sure I believe that he did have RSV. I can buy that he was fighting a little something - I heard one sneeze and one cough. He only needed the extra O2 for about 18 hours, and with the exception of being a little sleepier and having to take a few of his feeds down the tube, he has really been doing great. So well, in fact, that they are once again talking about sending us home! At this point they have said if he has a few solid days of taking all of his food and medications by mouth with a good weight gain, we can take him home! So far he has been doing great. The last time he needed any milk put down the tube was Thursday night. Adding the whey protein seems to have helped him turn the corner with the weight gain. It looks like because my milk is very high in fat and calories, and they are adding extra fat on top of that, that he was getting too much fat and not enough protein to balance the equation. I'm hopeful that we can cut back on the supplements soon and let him just grow as he should on my milk. For now, we let it be what it is and enjoy the good solid growth.
Today he weighed in at 2805 grams (or 6 lbs, 3 oz) . His umbilical hernia is rapidly approaching the size Dutton's did. The nurses keeps saying they have never seen one that large, but having seen Dutton's, I am pretty confident that we can just watch it and it will vanish on its own in time. (The picture below is Dutton at 4 months.)

1 comment:
Hooray! I would gladly give the little guy a few extra pounds or ounces I have hanging around....
Post a Comment