Wednesday, December 02, 2009

December 1

"May your walls know joy, may every room hold laughter, and every window open to great possibility." - Mary Anne Radmacher

Today's writing prompt is about holiday values. Some of the words that speak to me when I think about the holiday time are "family", "tradition", "togetherness", "memories" and "connecting". Christmas to me is about using old and new traditions to create forever memories for my family. There are some traditions that I just can't do without - especially Christmas Jammies. Every year on Christmas Eve, each person gets to open just one gift and it is always new pajamas to wear that night. It is fun to sleep in new Christmas PJ's and even more fun to take photos of everyone opening their gifts the next morning wearing their new jammies. It is a tradition I can't ever remember being without.
A new tradition I started when Colin was born was to give each child a special Christmas ornament each year that relates to something special for that year. It could be a memory of a special event, their Halloween costume, a vacation trip, a hobby, or just a special interest. I also make sure I have a photo ornament of each of them with a current picture for that year. When they are all grown up and leave the house, they will take with them a box of ornaments that are like old friends and their tree will not be a stranger. I am also trying to create an ornament album for them with a page for each year, a photo of that year's ornament, and a little journalling about why I picked that one for them that year. I'm a little behind, but hope to get those caught up this holiday season.

I'll post today's photograph after the fact since I forgot to take it yesterday. It was supposed to be a "Welcome to December" photo of everyone in the family. Oops.

For today's "DO", we finished up and mailed the Christmas cards we are sending for the Kid's Craft Weekly card swap. Dutton used ink and fingerprints to create a Christmas tree and they were mailed to 10 friends we have never met around the world. We are looking forward to getting cards back from each of them as well. Yesterday the first one arrived from Austraila!

For the "MAKE", we are doing a special Christmas countdown by making a different ornament each day. I have purchased all sorts of kits and put them in a big box. Each day we choose one and create the ornament for that day. Today was a Santa suncatcher ornament.

The "REMEMBER" prompt for today asks "What is your earliest holiday memory?" I'm hoping to find the photo I have that goes with it, but I'm not sure I will put my hands on it in time. When I was probably just 2 year old, I got an inchworm for Christmas. My parents had a tape recorder running that year when I saw it, so I remember listening to me yelling "inchworm, inchworm!" years later on tape. Because of that memory, I had to get Dutton one a few years ago for Christmas. It wasn't as exciting for him, but made me smile.


No comments: